Valldemossa, “everything that the poet and the painter could dream of, nature has created in this place”. So said Aurora Dudevant, the real name of the poet George Sand
Surrounded by a landscape filled with fields of carob, almond and olive tres, the village of Valldemossa rises serene and majestic on a hill 400 metres height.
The charm of its stone houses, the magic of its narrow streets, the beauty of its natural surroundings, dominated by the mountains of the Sierra de Tramuntana, and its monumental wealth never cease to captivate you.
For Valldemossa is gifted with a peculiar seductive charm, an enthralling essence that has proved irresistible in their day to such famous personalities as the Polish composer Frederic Chopin, his lover, the French writer Aurore Dupin, better known as George Sand, MIiguel de Unamuno, Eugenio d’Ors, Santiago Rusiñol, Rubén Darío, Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos and many more.
The Carthusian Monastery is the most emblematic monument in Valldemossa. Its origins go back to the Palace of Rei Sanç, built at the behest of Juame II in 1310 and in which his son, Sanç, sick with asthma, spent long periods. In 1399, King Martí the Humane donated the palace and grounds to the Order of the Carthusians to establish a monastery, though few traces survive from this period, as the present site dates to the 18th and 19th centuries. After the disentailment of Church property ordained by the Ministry of Finances, Juan Álvarez de Mendizábal, in 1835, the monastery passed under State management, and was converted into a residence for visitors and tourists, its cells later sold off to individual buyers. Two of many people who rented some of the cells, were, precisely, Chopin and George Sand. Various reminders of their stay here in winter 1838-1839 can still be admired here, including the piano that Chopin used to compose several of his finest works. Other interesting features of the Cathusian Monastery also include the neochlassical church, decorated with paintings by Manuel Bayeu, the brother in law of Francisco de Goya, an old 17th century pharmacy and the Cloister of Ses Murtreres, the venue every summer since 1931of the prestigious Chopin Fesetival. The museum contains four sections. The first of these is devoted to the old Guasp print workshop (1756-1958), the second to Archduke Luis Salvador (who loved the island of Majorca passionatelyand acquired land and possessions in the late 19th and early 20th century; the museum contains, amongst many other interesting items, the priceless, large encyclopaedia the archduke himself wrote on Majorca). The third section in the museum takes the Sierra de Tramuntana mountanins as its theme, whilst the fourth and last devoted to contemporary art.
Other interesting sights in Valldemossa include the Church of Sant Bartomeu, originally built in the 13th century though much altered since, and the house where the “little saint” Catalina Tomas was born in 1531, converted into a chapel after her death.